Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Handmade Christmas Ornaments


Well, it’s kinda hard to believe that Christmas and come and gone and that it is already January.  Much less 2016!   :)

I want to share with you some fun that I had last month making Christmas ornaments.


You see, I had some clear, empty glass ornament balls in the closet waiting to become something, and I’ve had an idea on the back burner for awhile, and I finally got a chance to try it out.


I got out some of my papermaking/collage “fodder” and played and played and played.  I realized before going in that I would need some elements with some body to them.  Just putting in glitter wasn’t going to work.  It would just fall to the bottom.  I had gravity to deal with, after all.


Fortunately, I have a lot of curling ribbon, tulle, excelsior, and other fun things to stuff in these balls.  Once you have a few things stuffed inside that can hold their own, you can add some things like metallic threads or angelina or glitter that would normally sink to the bottom.  With the other elements added first, you can hope that things will kinda catch on each other and stay aloft.  (A little bit, anyway.)

I had great fun shaking these up as I made them, as if I were making snow globes. 

Oh, and the glitter can and will fall out with the shaking.  Ask me how I know!  :) 


But why limit yourself to red and green??


Oh, this is like eating potato chips!  You make one, and you think up a new color combination that you want to try!  Wouldn’t a blue and silver one be pretty?  Or one with metallic golds and silvers?  And I think a pink and silver one would be very lovely.

You can find these empty ornaments at your local craft store (I got mine at Hobby-Lobby), along with all sorts of goodies to go inside. 

I think I'll make that pink and silver one next.

XOXO,
Lucky Dog









No comments:

Post a Comment